And of course one driver carved out his own identity with an ever-changing succession of different helmet designs: Sebastian Vettel, who is seldom seen in the same helmet design on consecutive weekends.
But that could all be about to change as a report indicates the FIA is considering a ban on drivers changing their helmet design after the season has started.
As they may be about to become a thing of the past, take a look back on some of the most striking and unusual one-off helmet designs from the last six years:
Over to you
Is banning drivers from switching their helmets a worthwhile change in the rules? And which helmet designs of recent seasons did you like best?
Have your say in the comments.
- 2023 post-season F1 testing at Yas Marina in pictures
- 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in pictures
- 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix qualifying day in pictures
- 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix practice in pictures
- Yas Marina’s new podium and more pictures from the build-up to the Abu Dhabi GP